Contributed by Laura Giannatempo
This pie is the quintessential spring pie, made with two ingredients that herald the glorious arrival of spring: strawberries and rhubarb. Be careful to use only the stalks of rhubarb and leave the leaves out as they can be poisonous. Serve with whipped cream or your favorite vanilla ice cream, and enjoy!
For the pie crust:
1 pound unbleached all purpose flour
1⁄2pound cake flour use all purpose if you don’t have cake flour
1 pound unsalted butter make sure it’s very cold just out of the refrigerator
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2teaspoon baking powder
3⁄4cup ice cold water
For the filling:
2 cups about 8 oz strawberries
1 lb rhubarb stalks
1 cup sugar
2-3 tablespoons sweet butter
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Dough can be prepared one day in advance.
1. Combine the flours, salt and baking powder in a large bowl or on a clean flat surface. Cut the butter into 1 inch cubes and rub it in the flour by hand or with an electric mixer until the pieces of butter are no bigger than small peas, about ¼ ; inch wide.
2. Stir the cold water in the flour and butter mix until the dough is formed and holds together. Shape the dough into a cylinder or ball and wrap in plastic and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
1. Preheat the oven at 375°F
2. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and divide it in half. Shape each half into a ball and roll both out. Then line a 9 inch pie pan with one of the rolled out doughs and reserve the other for the top.
3. Cut the strawberries in half if they are very large. In a large bowl toss together the sugar and cornstarch. Add the strawberries and rhubarb and mix well. Fill the bottom pie crust with the fruit mix and add butter in little pieces here and there.
4. Cover with the top rolled out pie dough. Trim the edges and press them together with your fingers. Bake until the dough is slightly browned or has a golden brown color about 50 - 60 minutes.